Saturday, March 8, 2008

its in my blood

I didn't realize setting my feet to the pavement three months ago was going to become something that defined me. But I guess that's not a bad thing since some of the things and people that once helped define me don't anymore. So maybe I was secretly looking for some new definition.

After I figured out exactly how much I loved the running, I decided I should maybe work towards a goal (cause my life stays more structured with goals) and found myself a 5K to run. I was actually really nervous to do this (i'm not sure why as I have taken tons of dance, yoga & writing classes...why would this be any different?) and so I put off registering as long as i possibly could. I knew I just had to go and get the first one over with though or I would be mad at myself.

So at 6:15 this morning I drug myself out of bed to a crisp March morning (it was 12 degrees), dressed myself the best I could (the only actual running gear I own right now are running shoes as till now I didn't really consider myself a "runner") and drove myself into Lawrence for my first 5K. It was pretty intimidating because almost everyone else showed up with all sorts of friends and fellow runners. I on the other hand showed up alone not knowing what to expect.

After checking in and receiving my shirt and number that I apparently was supposed to wear, I stood around for about 30 minutes before the run actually started. At some point some old guy wandered by and asked how many layers I had on, but other than that I just stood in the corner and watched people. I determined runners like to eat, most runners wear silver shoes (mine are green), and a lot of people have problems safety pinning their numbers to themselves.

I think the standing around was the worst part, the run wasn't much different then running every night through my neighborhood. The run itself was out behind a bar in Lawrence called Johnny's and they ran us up on the levee. We ran down about 1.5 miles and then headed back. Amazingly I didn't finish last, but there were a lot of pretty fast runners out. One of the guys I talked to before the race said the KU cross country team was out there. Those guys doubled back by me before I had even passed the first mile. There was guy running with his kid in a stroller...he smoked me too.

In the end, I at least accomplished what I set out to do which was run the whole way. I will definitely get faster...especially as the weather gets warmer...sometimes the cold and wind kicks my ass. I guess at this point it's just on to the next one.

No comments: